Tuesday, July 7, 2015

I'm Calling a DO OVER...and a 10K Pay Cut.



Love Struck?...more like life struck.

Call it a quarter life crisis, but I refuse to think of this as a crisis. What is "this" you may ask? Well, it's been me job hopping for the past 8 months. I'm going to be transparent and tell you that 2015 has kicked my ass: personally and professionally. Here I am; the girl dubbed "Most Likely to Succeed" in high school spending almost an entire year living pay-check-to-pay-check adding gaps in her resume? Yes. I'm your girl!

My last post was just the beginning. I thought it was a new permanent beginning; however, that beginning ended after three eye-opening months. Another few months went by, and I landed what I thought was THE golden career opportunity. Well, it wasn't. Both companies are amazing and successful, and I'm so grateful for having those experiences and opportunities; however, they left me feeling stressed, stuck, panicked...and bored.

Panicked? Yep. If you know me, then you know planning is in my blood. I live for a five year plan. Right now, as I type this, I have no plan. I don't know what my purpose is. I don't know what I want to do as a career. My time at both of those jobs made me realize that I have no clue what I want to do with my life. All I knew at the time was that it wasn't working.

Neither jobs were unbearable, and I could have stuck them out and ruined relationships in their wake. But, as soon as a job starts causing unwanted stress and negatively effects relationships, then it's time to move on. I used to think this was such a cliche', but it's true that you can't put a price tag on happiness. And that, my friends, is why I took over a $10,000 pay cut.

A few doors have been shut, but I'm about to crawl through a few windows that have been cracked open. I'm going to make margaritas with the lemons I've been given. (The margaritas will contain the cheap tequila due to my new employment status).

At this point, some of you may be praying for me. Don't worry; I'm like a cat. Every time I fall I land on my pretty little paws and try to climb the next tree.

I'm lucky to have amazing friends, family, and mentors to lean on during times like these. Times of transition, unpredictability, and uncertainty. When I'm doubting myself, I have the constant love and support of others encouraging me.

Not only do I have THE BEST support system, but I have my hustle, killer work ethic, desire to learn and grown, and determination to create something good. I may be a little nervous and overwhelmed, but I'm far from fearful.

I'm going back to basics and focusing on the things I have versus the things I think I want. Things are only good to fill voids. Memories, laughing, smiling, building a sense of community, and enjoying what you do every single day with people you love is what creates a happy, meaningful life. It's also super free to invest in all of those things.

I'll get back to spreading the love with Love Struck as soon as I get my groove back. Until then, I should probably change the title of this blog to, "Ashley's Quarter Life Diary."

I must thank sir Jon Acuff for writing the book, Do Over. It has helped me redefine and refine my Career Savings Account and given me the encouragement to punch fear in the face.

(Note written by Jon Acuff as found on his Pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment